One of the wonderful aspects of a swimming pool is that it provides a means of exercise–for all ages. Swimming pools truly are multi-generational. Here are some exercises that different ages may enjoy:
- Pool Games:Kids love to play and playing games in the pool provides an excellent form of exercise. Games like Sharks & Minnows or Marco Polo that involve swimming will keep kids active.
- Pool Toys:Yes, the right pool toys can provide exercise! Weighted diving sticks that kids can swim and pick up are great or even items like mermaid fins, ring tosses or pool noodles.
- Water Slide:Having a water slide in your pool will provide added fun for kids. It keeps them active since they have to climb the steps to slide down and then swim to the side once they land in the water.
- Pool Sports:Teens may enjoy having volleyball matches or basketball games in the pool. It’s a great way to enjoy summer sports while staying cool and active in the water.
- Diving Board:Teens will enjoy working on fun tricks off a diving board. It provides some added fun and the benefit of fitness.
Adults & Seniors:
- Lap Swimming: Swimming laps not only one of the best kilojoule burning exercises, it also can improve cholesterol levels and is beneficial in controlling body weight. Studies show swimmers tend to lose weight faster than those who participate in activities such as running or cycling. Aim to swim for 20 to 40 minutes at a pace that keeps your heart rate up.
- Kick Boarding: So maybe you’ve gotten bored of swimming laps. Change things up by using a kick board which provides a great leg and abdominal work out. You can use it on your front, or on your back. You can even use it to strengthen your arms by holding the kick board with one hand while stroking with the opposite arm and then switching.
- Pool Noodles:While noodles are fun for kids to play with, these long foam pool toys are also great for water exercises. Take the noodle in both hands and submerge it and then lift your knees and jump forward and backward over it. It’s a great exercise for your legs and abdominal muscles.
- Toning Exercises: Tired of lifting gym equipment? Water exercises can build muscle. There are a variety of different toning exercises from push ups and tricep dips on the side of the pool, to walking lunges, to barbells exercises to tone arms, to squats.
** Pool exercises are especially great for seniors since exercising in the water is easy on your joints and enables a wider range of motion than on land.
Once you have a swimming pool, there’s some helpful gear to have when swimming for fitness:
- Swim Cap
- Kick Board
- Pull Buoy
Are you ready to make a splash into pool ownership and enjoy the benefits of fitness? Contact Leisure Pools today (www.leisurepools.com.au) and Get Swimming in Quality and Style.